Saturday, April 4, 2009

Repentance

I'm getting myself ready for a Good Friday. I will be speaking on Christ's destiny his call to reconciliation and repentance. As I was looking through some really good books I rediscovered Charles Swindoll's book Simple faith what an amazing book and in it I found this beautiful Puritan prayer from the book the valley of vision. Its a beautiful prayer and one that I will pray more often:

I am a shell full of dust But animated with an invisible rational soul And made anew by an unseen power of grace Yet I am no rare object of valuable price But one that has nothing and is nothing Although chosen of thee from eternity, Given to Christ, and born again I am deeply convinced of the evil and misery of a sinful state, Of the vanity of creatures, But also of the sufficiency of Christ
When thou wouldst guide me I control myself When thou wouldst be sovereign I rule myself When thou wouldst take care of me I suffice myself When I should depend on they providing I supply myself When I should submit to thy providence I follow my own will, When I should study, love, honour, trust thee, I serve myself I fault and correct they laws to suit myself,
Instead of thee I look to man’s approbation, And am by nature an idolater. Lord, it is my chief design to bring my heart back to thee. Convince me that I cannot be my own god, or make myself happy, Nor my own Christ to restore my joy, Nor my own Spirit to teach, guide and rule me.
Help me to see that grace does this by providential affliction,
For when my credit is god thou dost cast me lower When riches are my idol thou dost wing them away, When pleasure is my all thou dost turn it into bitterness.
Take away my roving eye, curios ear, greedy appetite, lustful heart; Show me that none of these things
Can heal a wounded conscience, Or support a tottering frame, Or uphold a departing spirit.
Then take me to the cross and leave me there.

3 comments:

Luanne Gibbons said...

Good to see you blogging again. God Bless

Luanne

anon said...

What an inspirational poem - you can beat some of the old time authors who words & wisdom never age.

I am busy re-reading a book called 'Jesus Driven Ministry' by Ajith Fernando based on the Gospel of Mark (my favourite gospel) and I like these words that he says:-

The first act of Jesus' minstry recorded by Mark shows him identifying with the people. The second shows him receiving an anointing by the Spirit for his work. Incarnation and anointing are both vital aspects of Christian service. One shows how we must be committed to people, while the other shows how we must derive our strength from God.

God bless you and Jeff in your ministry. lots of love Judith

anon said...

ooppss my first line should have read you can't beat ....